2020 will be the 9th year that CIONET collaborates with Dr. Nils Fonstad, Research Scientist at MIT CISR (cisr.mit.edu) to raise awareness of what great digital leadership consists of. The European CIO of the Year program is an opportunity to celebrate the accomplishments of all finalists and to highlight Europe’s top CIO’s in 4 categories:
- Public sector and non-profit (Government, NGO, ..)
- Financial sector (Banking; Insurance; other Financial Services)
- Business focused sector (firms that generate the majority of their revenue from organizations)
- Consumer focused sector (firms that generate the majority of their revenue from consumers)
There are two key objectives to the 2020 European CIOs of the Year program:
- Recognize and celebrate CIOs and their teams that have made their organizations more successful by leading teams to use digital technologies to create significant business value.
- Raise awareness in the public and business press of the increasingly strategic and diverse roles of CIOs and their teams in both private and public sector organisations;
The CIOs are judged by a selected jury on their specific qualities. Some of the selection criteria will include:
- How well does the CIO adjust his IT strategy to meet the needs of his business?
- How does the CIO deploy his team to meet the business requirements
- How does the CIO determine his priorities and how effective does he manage them?
In the end there will be 4 winners, one in each category. They will be able to add this prestigious title to their award list.
Within each category, the selection committee – consisting of past winners, academics, and CIONET – will select a winner. Later this year CIONET will host CIONEXT, a virtual conference during which all Finalists will be featured. Early 2020, the winners will be invited to Brussels for an awards ceremony.